As a military veteran, you may feel overwhelmed when making the transition to civilian life. You may not be sure how to convey the many valuable skills and qualities you possess that make you an ideal candidate for careers in the information technology (IT) field. This industry requires individuals who are disciplined, adaptable and possess excellent problem-solving abilities, all of which are characteristics that military veterans often have in abundance.
Abel Personnel’s IT clients frequently identify the following attributes that they believe make veterans ideal for their position openings:
- Special Clearances: Many veterans are discharged from the military with special clearances. These clearances are necessary for individuals who handle sensitive
information, and the ability to obtain and maintain these clearances demonstrates a level of trustworthiness and reliability that can be extremely valuable in the tech industry. In many cases, veterans may already have the necessary clearance level required for certain IT roles, which can save companies time and money in the onboarding and training process; these veterans can perform on Day One.
- Transferable Technical Skills: Military training often includes courses on computer networking, cybersecurity,communication, and other technical skills, which can provide veterans with a strong foundation for pursuing a career in technology.
- System Familiarity and Quick Adaptation: Veterans are accustomed to working with a variety of technologies and are adept at learning new systems quickly. This is crucial in an industry that is constantly evolving.
- Ability to Work Under Pressure: The military is a high-stress environment that requires individuals to stay calm and focused in challenging situations. This ability translates well to the tech industry, where employees are often required to meet tight deadlines while solving complex problems.
- Teaming Skills: Veterans are also skilled at working in a team environment and are accustomed to collaborating with others to achieve a common goal, a common approach in IT.
Overall, being a military veteran means you likely already possess a wealth of skills and qualities that make you an excellent candidate for IT and related tech jobs. Your experience in the military has likely prepared you for the fast-paced, high-intensity environment of the tech industry, and with your technical skills and quick learning you will be a valuable asset to many companies. With your unique skill set , you will be well-suited for a wide range of IT roles, from cybersecurity to software development, and can make a significant contribution to any team. Just remember some companies offer Veterans preference. Your civilian career can be just as successful as your military career in meeting your needs, managing your expectations and setting and achieving goals, only now the military is not managing or setting them for you.We thank you for your service and are here to offer ours.We thank you for your service and are here to offer ours Contact a recruiter at Abel Personnel or visit our job board today to learn more about the IT careers awaiting you.