You thought the Interview went well. They told you that they’d be in touch “real soon” Still, you didn’t get the job when they eventually got back to you… or you were ghosted. While the causes for this result may vary, here are the top ten reasons you may have been passed over:
An Abel Personnel recruiter can prep for you in advance for an interview that aligns with your qualifications and interests, so none of these reasons will stop you from getting that job! Be in touch at www.abelpersonnel.com.
Sourced from Career Contessa, “Why Can’t I Get a Job? 10 Reasons You’re Not Landing the Job,” Keertana Anadraj, October 18, 2022
10 REASONS YOU DIDN’T GET THE JOB
- You fixated on what the job could do for you. Better to talk about what your skills can do for the company
- Hiring manager feels like you may not stay. Emphasize why you want this job and how it meets your long-term goals.
- You’re giving non-verbal clues. Work on being comfortable at interviews, making eye contact, and give a strong handshake.
- You didn’t “click.” Practice being authentic, the real you, someone they would definitely find great to work with.
- You oversharped. Don’t bring up details (and grievances) about your past that do not relate to why you should be hired.
- You were overqualified. Check job descriptions carefully before applying; if you think you may be overqualified, address this at the interview.
- You cast your net too wide. Hone in on the position, location, and work conditions you want rather than applying for every possibly related opening.
- The job description was not accurate. Make it clear in your resume and cover letter the job that you are qualified and prepared to do; that will help everyone not waste time.
- Someone else was more qualified. It happens. Know that you did your best, and there will be other opportunities.
- You didn’t tell enough stories. Write down a few stories or experiences you can highlight in an interview and practice telling them.